Friday, October 29, 2021

AECP-Level 2-Magical Marker Techniques

 If you are like me, you have had alcohol markers for awhile and only use them for occasional coloring.  If so, then this is the class for you!  I learned so many techniques and have a few samples to show you.


I recently received the Just Leaves die set from Altenew.  I was so excited when I saw it and knew I wanted to try it for this technique.  After cutting ALL of the dies in the set out of white cardstock, I colored them with several of my green alcohol markers.  I just pulled out the shades I wanted to use and randomly colored the leaves.  The wonderful thing about this technique is there is no order-just randomly color, experiment and have fun with it. After all my colors were applied, I then spritzed slightly with alcohol to achieve a slightly mottled effect.  I only used one of the leaves for this card as it is a mini slimline card and one was enough.  The sentiment is from the Faithful Feather set and is stamped in black ink.  For added contrast, the sentiment strip is backed in a matching green cardstock. Below is a close up.


Since I had so many leaves ready, I decided to make another mini slimline card with the orientation going the opposite direction.


I mounted these leaves on a small square of white cardstock that I dry embossed with a woodgrain folder and then attached them to a piece of green cardstock.  The stripes on either side of the sentiment were made using one of the green alcohol markers and a ruler.  The sentiment is stamped in black and is part of the Amaryllis stamp set.


This card was fun and easy.  I stamped the images from the Darling Rose stamp set on Vellum and then heat embossed them in black.  I colored the rose using R301, R206 and R217 Altenew Alcohol Markers. I spritzed them with alcohol to achieve a stippled effect similar to the leaves. The result is slightly different using Vellum rather than cardstock. I then fussy cut the pieces. One tip from this class was to look at your stencils differently.  Although I didn't use my stencil with my markers, I did angle it on my cardstock and ink blended only a portion of it. I adhered the rose and leaves to this piece and then adhered that to an A2 card front.


Here is a close up of the mottled effect.  I did color the Vellum on the back side so that I wouldn't damage the tips of my markers.


One of the first techniques in this class was using your alcohol markers to color metal.  Sara used some metal sheeting she had.  I wanted to give it a try but had no metal sheeting.  This card and my next one were experiments and I love the way they turned out!  I adhered double sided adhesive to a piece of card stock and then adhered Aluminum Foil to the cardstock. This technique works best using dark colors, so I looked for my darkest blue marker and scribbled it on my aluminum foil.  Then I spritzed the area with alcohol.  After this dried, I cut it into strips of varying sizes and attached it to my card using double sided tape.  I also used the same marker to color white pearls. Now the colors on my card match perfectly!


The sentiment is from the Japanese Mum stamp set. I really like the shading and variation you get with this technique.  I may invest is some dark colors of alcohol markers just for this technique!



This is actually my favorite card from this class!  Most of the products used are discontinued, but I have them in my stash. I colored a piece of aluminum foil with a dark red alcohol marker, spritzed with alcohol, let it dry and then die cut the ornaments.  The sentiment is from the Holiday Flower stamp set. 

I hope this inspired you to try new techniques with your alcohol markers.

Happy Stamping!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Like your first card very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept scrolling and was like, wow wow wow and then dang! That Christmas card! SO GOOD vicki!! You always create goodness! Thankyou for your submission.

    ReplyDelete

Altenew April Inspiration Challenge

It has been a long winter here! I woke up to snow on the ground again! Next winter may be a time for travel to a warmer climate! This m...